Thursday, September 27, 2007

What do you do in the FULL MOONS LIGHT?

Howling at the Harvest Moon last night from my back deck! You know it is fall at the farm when the animals play in the glow from the moon and love is in the air. It is breeding time for the Goat Girls around our pastures and as the saying goes "Everyone looks their best in moonlight"


This is Ebony, she is my senior Cashmere girl (15 years old) and one of my dearest friend. She came to me from a kill auction where she was slated for meat. She was a mental mess and the owner hated her. She was expecting but when she came here she threw herself against the side of the barn until she lost her baby. I wondered what I had gotten myself into. Many breeders told me to send her back to the kill auction but I knew she just needed love. A year of slow steps to get her to trust me and then her first baby here (BeBe) a top of the line billy which I delivered because he was a butt first presentation. After I cleaned off the baby and handed it back to her we made a bond that has lasted all these 11 years. Each year she wants me right by her when she delivers even though she has never needed my help since. Our long looks into each others eyes while the contractions grow let her know that I am in it for the long haul. Each morning when I step on my deck she is the first to give me a shout out. It is amazing to me that my plan for this farm NEVER included goats and now they are the only animals I raise. I howl at the moon and give thanks for what life has given me and my four legged family.
Let me know what you do in the Harvest Moon!


2 comments:

Country Suds Gal said...

Grace- that is a wonderful story. Sweet Ebony, how lucky she is!

blessings
beth

Aunt Jo said...

How sweet. Ebony is one lucky girl to have a friend like you.

We had goats and it still amazes me how they end up part of the family.