Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Farmers Market Bounty






With the horrible weather I had here at the farm I now have to rely on the farmers market to get organic, local produce. I went last weekend and scored some great heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, yellow squash, onions, garlic and celery so today I finally had enough strength (had a bad stomach bug that kept me in bed for several days) to start cooking. Mind you my stomach is not feeling the best so I am still only eating a poached egg a day but I needed to get to these vegies before they passed their prime. I just realized the pictures are out of order but I am sure you guessed that - the first picture should be the last and so on.

So with the snow blowing outside I turned on the oven and made my base to a fresh lazagna. Combining all the veggies along with olive oil, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and some carrot juice I let the veggies roast slowly in the oven for about 2 hours. The house was filled with the wonderful smell of the bounty. I let it cool and placed in the frig for in the next day or two. I will make my homemade noodles, make the rest of the filling and bake. I sure hope my tummy is better by then otherwise the bounty will be cut, packaged and frozen for another snowy day.

I had to pass on the Italian Plum Cake until I can get the plums seeded - I just ran out of steam today. So it is Mint tea and Honey for me tonight and a hot pad...

1 comment:

monica said...

Grace, The veggies look so yummy! I hope you are feeling better!