Monday, June 9, 2008

"The sky is falling" said chicken little



When I go into the chicken coop to collect the eggs it is a tradition that I thank the girls for their graceous contribution, count the eggs and then the girls. Then when I give them their dinner I count the girls and say goodnight. One, two, three,.....nine and wait a second - one, two, three,....eight,nine - where is TEN???? Oh My God ! I ran out of the coop and started calling. I know she must just be slow to come to dinner.. What do you mean - they are never slow in coming........

After calling for what seemed like forever - I started walking the pastures looking for feathers and God forbid a part of her body. With every step, in every pasture I walked with tears welling up in my eyes. I played over and over what could have happened to her and my heart sank lower. I understand to most she is just a chicken but not to me. I even combed my forest and not a single feather. All I could think of is one of the large predatory birds must have snatched her. When I arrived back at the coop I explained to the girls that I could not find her. I sat silent for a time craddling a few of the girls till they went to roost. I closed up the chicken coop and said a silent prayer. I know it is the circle of life but I still get upset.

Monday morning when I went out to open the chicken coop here came running from the tall grass my sweet little hen. She ran into my leg because she was so happy and excited she was to see me. I picked her up and could not stop hugging her. When I opened the doors and placed her inside all the girls ran up to greet her. This morning was a GREAT and I mean GREAT day...

1 comment:

mindy said...

So glad she came home.