Sunday, December 26, 2010

After Christmas Event

The crowds start early here at the farm. The after holiday goodies brings out all those looking for a great deal....

I find the customers milling around just waiting for me to open the doors and let the spending beginning.


I get all the high class shoppers - they are kicking up their heels to get the best spot in line.
The truth is I had the most amazing event happen - in all the years here I have never seen such an event. As I was looking out my window in the wee hours of the morning (again, not able to sleep) just as the moon was starting to set. I thought I would see if I could get some shots. As I opened the window I could hear milling around in the tall grass and was concerned it might be some predators. I decided to wait and see if I could see what was moving. The dogs where not barking so I wondered WHY??? As the sun started to rise I could see faint movement. As the event became clearer I was just amazed - that does not even cover it!! My sweet herd of does where Pronging (that is the correct word for when animals bounce off the ground using their feet looking like they are connected at the ankles) around in a circle. Such JOY!! What was in the center of the circle but the stag who was watching them pass by in front of him as if they where on a dance show. He never moved a muscle while the girls where giving their all to show off their best features. I stood frozen watching this dance. I wondered - has anyone else ever seen such a sight. I tried my hardest to get my camera to zoom in close enough to capture this once in a lifetime celebration - I knew if I tried to leave the house to get closer they would stop and the moment would be lost. I decided I just wanted to watch from a distance and let them have this time without a human getting involved. Just then I also noticed that all my goat boys who have a fence line next to this area have also been standing frozen in place watching this event. Not even my dogs moved a muscle or uttered a sound which is incredible in and of itself. They really do not like deer much and love to bark at them most of the time. This dance went on for about 30 to 45 minutes. Unbelievable!!!
So while others may have been standing in line to get that after Christmas sale priced item or return that horrible looking sweater that was given to them by dear sweet auntie - I witnessed a true magical moment to make this holiday season something I will never forget...
Thank you gals for a gift that I will cherish my whole life...

2 comments:

monica said...

Grace, What beautiful pictures!

larkspur funny farm said...

Monica I wished you could have seen this in person - it was so magical and amazing.... This morning they where right outside the shop door - they are really feeling comfortable with the new way I have the moved the front panels and gates. The only problem is they are eating on my Pinon Pine tree. Not making me happy about that but still to have them only three or four inches from my shop door is mind blowing.