Monday, August 31, 2009

This is the BEST, BEST, BEST!!!!




OH MY - this is the best thing I have eaten in years - I am not kidding!!!

From my sacks full of books and magazines I brought home from the library I found this recipe in the Martha Stewart Living Magazine dated May 2009. It is called
"Cherry Clafouti" It takes only 45 minutes to make, serves 4 but I managed to eat it in two days without sharing.

2 large eggs, l large egg yolk, 1/3 cup all purpose flour, 3/4 cup creme fraiche, plus more for serving, 3/4 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for the dish, 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 12 ounces cherries, halved and pitted, Confectioners' sugar for dusting.

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 9 inch baking dish, 1 1/4 inches deep. Coat with granulated sugar; tap out excess. Whisk eggs, yolk, and flour in a medium bowl: whisk in creme fraiche, milk, granulated sugar, vanila and salt.
Arrange cherries in prepared dish. Strain batter over cherries. Bake until browned around edges and set in the center, 30 to 35 minutes. let cool slightly. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve warm with a dollop of creme fraiche.

Trust me - this was so great I had to call my Mother to tell her about it and I NEVER do that just for food. I have made several copies of this and put them into the mail for those who love something really great to eat. Now comes the taste test - YES it is best the first day, but I managed to refrigerate some (it was hard to not eat the whole thing) and tested it for the next day. Do not heat in the micro wave but rather just let it come to room temp and it still is amazing. The third day it is a tiny bit rubbery but the taste is still wonderful. Now my brain is thinking of what other fruits would do well with this - I am thinking for fall gatherings maybe a well ripened fig, what would be your fruit selection???

Try this and I am sure you will be sending this recipe out to all those who really love to eat something wonderful. ENJOY, I know I did...

3 comments:

monica said...

Grace, That looks so very yummy! I am telling you, one of these days I am going to hop on a bus and come over for lunch and dessert of course!

larkspur funny farm said...

You are always welcome.

TW said...

Just curious. Do you ever welcome visitors to your fiber farm? We are currently exploring and researching life on a farm - I am so inspired by the animals, the wool, the art of it all. Planning for a move to the country in 3-4 years. For now, I want to learn everything I can. I'm a total stranger, but I live in Denver and am putting out feelers to see how I am to learn what I need to know little by little. Can you let me know if you entertain interested guests. I am a homeschooling mom of 4 children. We have working hands and helpful spirits.