Sunday, July 5, 2009

Why is it getting Dark??





I could not believe how in a matter of a couple of minutes the sky turned black and the air became so still that I knew it was not going to be pretty....

Along with the sheets of rain came hail so fast and hard that it looked like the end was coming. O.K. here is another movie reference - in the new War of the Worlds when the clouds turned black and the lightening rolled thru them and then the lightening struck the ground. That is what is going on outside. It is so bad it is rattling my windows in the house. After quickly taking these pictures I ran down to the basement just as the rain and hail came. I again flipped the switch to close down the propane tank, I shut down the pump to the well and flipped the switch on the main breakers. Now if a strike hits we will not fry anything or blow up. I sat listening to the sounds that are becoming so common this summer and wondered if this is just the beginning of what Mother Nature has in store for us??? Honestly Mother Nature I am one of the good guys - I have been caring for the earth since I was a little girl.. I only drive twice a month and then only for food and animal supplies. I do not leave lights on, do not use a dishwasher, dryer, garbage dispossal. I limit my showers to 5 minutes and with warm water. I use only bio products, raise my animals organically and recycle everything. I really do not get it - can't you leave me out of this???

So as I sat in the basement I crocheted and spun by the light of my headlamp (rechargable batteries only) and hoped that Mother Nature is aiming for my neighbor with his three hummers, large McMansion, and huge sprinkler system that runs when it is raining. I sure hope Mother Nature throws a lighten bolts better then I do a ball.

4 comments:

stregata said...

Oh Grace, sorry to hear you are having such an awful time of it!! I have been wondering if you were okay, because no new blog posts... Glad to hear you are alright and keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will go somewhere else. Keep safe!!

BritChickNY said...

Wow, this sounds scary to say the least. Thank goodness you do hand work or you would go crazy just sitting there listening to the noise "upstairs"
Hope you and all the animals are okay.

monica said...

Grace, I hope all is well at the farm! I have to say the clouds are beautiful, but scary looking!

Aprons and More said...

We are so glad you are back...were starting to get worried! We finally got rain here in Middle Georgia..It has been so dry the grass was crunchy! How are the new hens? Hopefully the weather has not traumatized them too much! Hope that you have pretty weather for the wedding! :)