Wednesday, January 26, 2011

NO BOYS ALLOWED!


Tuesday I just had enough of those mean Roo's. As I was trying to feed everyone in the coop they kept chasing the girls around and pulling on this combs and feathers. The girls would scream and run for their lives to the corners of the coop hoping the Roo's would not follow. I had had enough....


After chores I went to work on getting them out of there... The only place I thought I might put the boys is in the smaller barn that houses the yearling goat boys. It would take a lot of work but I was not going to have those boys terrorising my girls anymore - so I made it my mission to get it done in time for roosting - this is around 4:30 pm here. After moving all the equipment out, dragging out the huge heavy metal shelving units, using what was left of my arm muscles to move the large metal drums full of grains and minerals out of the way - I then went to work on cleaning the barn. Then I put all the small equipment and supplies in plastic tubs so they could not hurt themselves, hung heat lamps, covered the floor with straw and check every inch for so they could not get out or hurt themselves. I started this process at 9:30 am and ended at 4:00 pm. After all that I needed to bring in the boys!!


Now by this time I had not eaten since 6:00 am and was dead tired so I was not in the mood for chasing six boys all over hell and gone. I used the same method I use in getting my goat boys - I first caught the biggest boy and he sure was not happy but with my hand tightly wrapped around his neck and his body tucked under my arm we took the long walk to the other barn. I spoke to him about how this was all their own fault and how this was their last chance here not to end up as Sunday dinner. I put him in the barn and went back to repeat this five more times. I admit when I got Bob, the huge white one - the one who crows all through the night and is the meanest to all the girls I found my fingers growing tighter and tighter around his neck as he struggled and yelled at me. Now before you get too concerned - NO I did not hurt him but I admit it was really tempting.. When all the boys where in their new digs I shut the door with another verbal warning from me to BEHAVE!!


After doing afternoon chores and checking on my expecting goat girls I was getting ready to close the doors on the ALL GIRL chicken coop when what did I see but eye popping soft blue and light green eggs on the floor in the shavings. I could not believe my eyes. I slowly walked in and all the girls came running and talking softly showing me the eggs. I could imagine that they where giving me words of THANKS for getting the boys out. All this time they have been holding out because the boys would not give them a moments rest. Such joy I felt and how happy the girls are without those silly Roo's...


Before you think I am such a mean lady - I checked on the Roo's every two hours when I went to check on the expecting goat girls just to make sure they where safe and happy. They where and so this morning I was rewarded again with more sweet little Easter Eggs. Life on the Funny Farm is back into production and all is peaceful in the coop.


3 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Oh those boys. Maybe they need a run in with Peter. He will show them what it is like to be bullied. It must be exciting waiting for all those babies to be born. I wish you lots of luck. Try to get some sleep while you can.

larkspur funny farm said...

Oh wait to you read what is coming next...

Anonymous said...

I hope those boys appreciated your efforts! I'm sure they would make a dandy stew.