Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Why do some of us HAVE to create - ART?

I heard a phrase the other day "Restless Mind Syndrome" which struck such a cord.

No matter what I am doing or what I am suppose to be doing my mind is going a million miles an hour. If I see a flower as I walk down a sidewalk my mind goes running off to what I could do with those shades, how could I get that color in the dye pots, when I spin my next yarn how could I get just the right texture going to show those soft flowing petals - OH Crap - where was I going and what was I suppose to be doing????

While trying to concentrate on doing the boring side of paperwork I think of how could I repurpose this paper into a workable, usable yarn.... Or where did I put that new piece of art paper that I purchased because I loved the colorway used and could see it in a carded batt. Crap, I am doing it again. Or even as I sit here typing my restless brain is running on about which goats fleece will be next in the dye pot and how will I turn this already incredible gift into something that the next person will be able to see all the love and attention that I give those sweet kids of mine. I have to collect little bits and bobs of things knowing that in some future date it will find it's way into a new ART project.

My house looks like a Mini Mall of craft stores, fiber festivals and art libraries.
Every room has all the tools of many art trades, there are more projects going at one time then a small art institute would have going in an average school year. I jump out of bed in the middle of the night with an idea on how to solve a dye problem or find that special use for that special nick nack - surely Normal folks don't do this?? But then again, what is Normal for us creative nutters?

Now, I don't have six different colors to my hair, a ring in my nose or tatt's covering my body parts but my spirit lives to create. I am not knocking those who find that way of expressing themselves but if you watched this plain gal walking down the sidewalk looking lost in the sight of a flower - I am guess you would never guess I am struck with the need to create. Some might call it ART, I call it my "Restless Mind Syndrome"

I also want to slap the person who coined it "Starving Artist" - I do not wish to starve but just create. Why must the world feel my selective talent is just a flight of fancy rather then a calling. I have been working and creating with my hands since I was a tiny girl and just can not sit without having my hands creating something. I have even spun yarn in a movie theather because I had an idea running so hard and fast in my brain that I just had to get those hands involved.

So here is my question today: How do you manage the creative monster who takes hold of your mind, hands and time???

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I feel your pain. ;)

What I find helps, when I actually do it, is to keep something near me at all times to record my ideas (whether that's a notebook by my bed, Evernote on my computer or my cell phone's voice recording functionality in the car). If I don't get the idea captured, it tends to clutter up my mind, repeating itself over and over so I can't forget it. Once I feel it's safely captured, though, my mind tends to relax a bit and get on with whatever else it was doing.

Now I just need to tweak this system to make time once a day to transfer all this info into the same place. Or get a proper mobile device and just use Evernote because it will sink up your computer, laptop and mobile device.

Anonymous said...

Like you, keeping hands busy goes a long way in satisfying the urge to create. My dad was the same way. Is it genetic?

larkspur funny farm said...

Wendy such good information the one problem is I do none of the device you speak of - I do however keep pencil and paper close at hand. I am over whelmed with just getting on Facebook. Yes, I am the only person in the world who does not do cell phones, ipod's, cable, blue tooth, and on and on...
I do appreciate your wonderful suggestions and if I get ready to add any of those items I will surely think of you...

Thanks again Wendy!!!

monica said...

Grace, I am right there with you on having Restless Mind Syndrome! As I was watching an old Who concert on PBS, I could not help but wonder what Roger Daughtry's long curly hair would spin like!!! Sometimes I do not manage my creative monster too well and the dishes and laundry pile up! I can't wait till we move because I will have a dishwasher there! Have a wonderful day!
Hugs,Monica

Cassie Shella said...

Love your post! It's like you were reading my restless mind! As I was reading the responses Monica noted Roger Daughtyr's hair, I do the same thing with colors from the shows my small children watch. The colors and animation of children's programing today is incredible; I have been known to take a picture of the TV when it's on so I can remember the colors, now that's crazy! Your post makes me feel so normal, doesn't everyone's brain do this? Have a Blessed week...

Keeper of the Past said...

Can't help you Grace, I also have RMS and as I get older, short term memory lost...you are on your own but isn't it great to love what you do so much that you are encapsulated with it every waking...and sometimes sleeping moment?
Sarita

larkspur funny farm said...

Ladies I thank you so much for making me feel like it is not just me!!! I too seem to lose track of those thoughts as I am getting old and I have taken to putting a little pad and paper in my pocket even when I am doing chores just in case this brillant mind has a great thought. Some days the paper is blank but other days I need a new pad to keep up... Great to know I am in such great company.....