Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Oh What A Sunday

I lost a couple of days here because Sunday was a Big Confusing Free For All...

I am still trying to get it all straight so let's see if putting it down on paper would make more sense.. Don't count on it but here it goes - hold on to your seats. At 9:58 am I went into the barn just to take a peak because no one was showing any signs of labor but there I found Gretal in the early stages her labor. Her last year daughter Jill was in the same kidding pen because there was not a single suite left at Hotel Funny Barn... Jill was sitting quietly in the far corner and watching her mother give out those tiny sounds of active labor. I knew not to get involved because Gretal becomes flighty during labor. So I pulled up my chair and started counting contractions. Out came the first baby and it was a girl and before Gretal could even really look at her she sat herself back down and started pushing. Before you could really worry about the first one being left alone the second baby was out and it was a sweet boy. Gretal got up, started talking to them and cleaning them. She is a speed demon on cleaning. Before I could log in the delivery time which was 10:14 I saw that Jill started making faces. She is a first time mommy so I watched her closely to record her signs. It was now only 10:33 and with loud cries and panic in her eyes Jill delivered a tiny little boy but I knew we had a problem - Jill was giving me that "Deer in the Head Light Look". We see that in some first time Moms because it is all new and frightening.. Just then Mother Gretal stepped in. She went quickly to talking to Jill and cleaning the little guy. Jill came over to me and pressed her head into my forehead in an attempt to connect and receive comfort. She has done this since she was a little girl and it was our way to connect. Then with a big push out came the second little boy. Again, Gretal went about cleaning the newest little one. I was very concerned because Gretal was now caring and nursing all four and Jill was still confused. Just when I was feeling my heart start sinking for what would be too much for Gretal to handle it was like the universe heard my fears and Jill stepped in. Now before I was ready to do my Happy Dance - Jill was licking the kids of Gretal - WHAT!! O.k. then they did another switch and we had one kid of each mother nursing from the wrong mother. Then another switch and another - thank God they all look differently or I would really get confused....during this time of year it does not take much to get me confused.

I watched them for hours just to make sure there would be no Mother flipping out and hurting someone. Gretal would at times have all four of them standing in line to nurse but then after drinking from Grandma they would go to Jill. I must say I was filled with more joy then I have felt in a long time. Here was the perfect picture of Mother helping Daughter and Daughter helping Mother. The kids sleep in a big pile and each time they get up to nurse it is any one's guess who they will go to and each time it is different. Each Mom is giving their love to all and it is pure love....

The four little one's are thriving and bring such joy to watch. Jill is even teaching her Mother that this two legged Mother is someone who gives great body rubs and is there for their babies with all my skills and love.

What a roller coaster ride around here but well worth the price of a ticket..

3 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

This is exactly why I hate modern agriculture.Who decided it is best for the animal to be ripped away at birth and raised unnatural? This is how animals should be raised. Mother helping daughter, daughter learning from mother how to do it. Now Jill will be the best Mom next time. It makes me so happy to see there are still people out there who raise their animals so lovingly. thank you Grace.

larkspur funny farm said...

Jill is such a wonderful Mom now - she is such a loving Mom and so attentive... See what a great Mother can teach others. Jane I am with you I can not stand the way we go about things now - I should have been born in a differnt century but I guess I am here to show a different way. Blessings to you and I learn so much from your blog.... Your a great teacher.

larkspur funny farm said...

Jill is such a wonderful Mom now - she is such a loving Mom and so attentive... See what a great Mother can teach others. Jane I am with you I can not stand the way we go about things now - I should have been born in a differnt century but I guess I am here to show a different way. Blessings to you and I learn so much from your blog.... Your a great teacher.