Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Almost Out Of The Barn

Just as I was reaching my goal of not having to go the to barn during the night it all went south.

Last night as I was just getting this body into bed something pulled at me to the window.  I opened it up just a tad because is was bone chilling cold out there.  As I pitched my ears I heard several of the younger billies making panic sounds.  So off I went, down the stairs and into my layers.  Out the door, down the stairs and sprinting toward the little boys barn.  As I was melting the ice off the clip I could hear a very faint cry which means someone is almost on their last breath.....

CRAP - Why can't folks stay out of trouble???

I found Jasper (one of the white cashmere 2 year old's) on his back and hardly alive.  He was bloating and in BIG trouble.  I picked him and and ran out the door, through the gate and around to the other side of the barn.  As I got in the barn and turned on the big overhead light so I could get a clear picture of what I was in for.  I had every billy standing on their hind legs looking over the half wall.  I opened the Vet Kit and went to work.  I put all my energy into this and it was going to be a full night and I was not sure if I could pull this out.

So another night on the cold ground and full of worry and prayers.  Several times we almost lost the battle and I was sitting in tears but he rallied and we went for a few more hours before another crash.  Four times we came so close and by morning I was spent and still felt like we have not come out of the woods.

During the day I checked on Jasper while he ate slowly, drank some and even walked around.  We are by no means out of the woods - I will be back to two hour checks through out the night if I do not see big improvements.  I keep praying that there was not too much damag
e done and that he will keep on making progress.  He finally pooped at about 7 pm which made my night...

If I might ask you to find it in your heart to say a prayer for Jasper - I thank you in advance..

4 comments:

monica said...

Grace, I will surely be praying for Jasper to recover and for you to get enough rest to tend to him! You are my hero!!!

Love you bunches, Monica

Tombstone Livestock said...

Your welcome and I hope our prayers do some good. I know you must be exhausted trying to keep up with critters day and night. If that is Jaspar's picture he is adorable. Good luck and be sure to take care of yourself also. No time for the shepherd to get sick.

LL Abbott said...

Prayer said, My Dear!!!!

My blessings and heart are with you.

Laura

Spinners End Farm said...

Prayers to the goat gods I can do....