Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Going Strong After All These Years

My Christmas Cactus is starting up again this holiday season - I have raised and given away many of these amazing plants and I still marvel at how they just go to town during this cold and bleak season. This one is 12 years old and started out in a tiny little pot on a sale table after the holiday season was all over. It reminds me of the Charlie Brown Tree - no one saw the beauty in this one but when I saw it I just had to bring it home. Now all these years later it is a long standing member of this house and rings in the Holiday Cheer without fail - it is my Joy.


Greets me each day long before the sun rises to say "Be Thankful - Look What Can Be" I have been so lucky to have so many bright spots in my life - simple to some but amazing to me.

7 comments:

Ngo Family Farm said...

Wow, it's beautiful! Looks so cheerful :)
-Jaime

larkspur funny farm said...

Thanks Jaime - I do not put up a big tree anymore - a small table top one is what I do now so my different blooms Cactus are my holiday cheer. I have a crown of thorns that is 27 years old and blooms three times a year - should be starting soon.

BLD in MT said...

They are so lovely. I really, really enjoy their blossoms, probably more because it happens in the cold season.

We always set up a Christmas tree at the library where I work, but not this year. This year we brought the lovely Christmas cactus from where it lives in Reference and plopped it square in middle of the library, at the front desk. It is way better than that old Christmas tree any day!

Candy C. said...

Your Christmas cactus is lovely! :)

larkspur funny farm said...

I love the concept of Christmas Cactus replacing your library tree - sometimes it is wonderful to switch it up. Thanks Candy - today it has three times the blooms and many many more to come.

Rita said...

Hi,

I have a big plant, with flowers in that same pink color. I took the plant home after my father passed away, about 8 y ago. I neglected it during summertime and since a few years it's blooming beautifully. It makes me happy every winter.

Alda said...

Oh! How Lovely, The Holiday Cactus. Boldly Sending Its Well Wishes To Us. It's Strong Presence Commands Center Stage. Newcomer On Board. Love All My Eyes Behold.