Monday, July 9, 2012

Hear the Frogs

So I guess my Naked Rain Dances WORKED!!!  We have had three rain storms hit the farm in two days and this one is a HUGE one...  Beyond what these pictures can show - the rain was in continual sheets that for a while I worried that I should have been building an Ark instead of cleaning the chicken coop on Sunday..  Just wait till you see the coming pictures. This picture may look out of focus but it isn't - it is because the rain was coming so fast and hard that is really was a wall.

This is only after 10 minutes and the rain had filled the pond and now was backing up across the driveway and standing 4 inches deep in the south pasture.  There are three great big pipes that drain that area but the water is coming too fast for them.  I could only stand and watch and wonder how long this was going to continue.
This is the dry pond that ran over with all the water.  The frogs did not take long before they were out and singing so loud that you can not hear the TV over their sounds.  The rain had stopped and now I am able to take the billies out to the forest before the next storm might come our way. I hope by showing you this rain storm you can also see how incredibly brown, dry and dead the plants are at the farm.  I pray that this water can soak into the ground but it came so fast and hard that most will run away but still I am so very thankful.  Great to fell the rain and hear the frogs....

8 comments:

caprejan said...

Great stuff! I must get my kit off and try a different dance, did you do it to music? it makes such a difference to have even one storm and we havent yet had that.
I dont know if you got my post about the book,it hasnt arrived yet, but even the postgirl is very snail-like. have a much cooler dayx

Anonymous said...

Had some nice rain in Pueblo too! I had almost forgotten what a rain was like. What a relief.
Jalia

Candy C. said...

That was certainly a toad strangler! Glad you got some rain finally! :)

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

What a wonderful sight! Did that help any of the wildfires?

larkspur funny farm said...

Not too much - we are concerned about the flooding now because the ground can not handle it - I swear Mother Nature is not a happy gal...

Keeper of the Past said...

Grace how soon can you be in Missouri? After seeing your rain, maybe you can wear your under wear...so we can get a good slow soaker. Neighbors 30 miles to the West and 28 to the South got 3 inches of rain and we got tidly!
tickled to death that you and yours got some good rain...sing on froggies!

larkspur funny farm said...

I just might have to do my dance again - no more rain since the huge one - temps are climbing and the bugs are keeping me swatting...

I know everyone is struggling so I bite my tongue, swat the bugs and carry water every four hours and back to running hoses. My neighbors are not too close and I figure if you drive to slow on the dirt road you deserve what you see.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I gave your blog an award today. Stop on over to read about it.