Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cracked Bottle and Knee Caps



Is there anything in life that duck tape will not fix?? At the 1 am feeding everything was going swimmingly and as I hung over the pen feeding Wynonna and Max and drifting off in my head of what work I be needing to get done in only a couple of hours. I noticed that Mishka was creepying up behind me to stand next to me and complain that she was no longer my one and only bottle kid even when she is far too old to be glued to my butt. She is not happy and is feeling displaced. Just as I was explaining to her that she really ought to have tried a bit more on considering being the Mother to Max - Wynonna smacked the bottle so hard in my hand that it went smashing into the cold hard metal pen and placed a cracked in the bottom. At that same moment for whatever reason Kate decided to plow into the side of Mishka which in turn had Mishka's hard head and horns ramming into the back of my knee's and before I could even think my knee's went into that same cold hard metal pen. After letting out a big scream and startling everyone in the barn I had to sit on the cold hard metal drum to gather my wits and to make sure no real harm came to my ever tender knee's... I finished the feeding barely as the bottle was leaking. I hobbled back to the house, took me two pain pills, found the duck tape to fix the bottle and then off to find the heating pad... By the time I got to my bed the body was aching and my mind thinking of all those childish squabbles these girls can get into over nothing - sound like anyone you know??


I remember at an Easter Dinner I was having at my house some 20 years ago I just made the silly comment "Mom always liked me more" when my two sisters came unhinged... I kept saying it was just a joke but my gosh - for years after that they would not give it up. It amazes me how some folks both two and four legged hold onto things way past their prime and waste so much of the present with little words and actions. I guess Kate and Mishka have something to work out but not at the cost of my knees...


So today's feedings will be interesting - down to one good bottle and another slowly leaking, stil only two hands and three hungry kids... I am not great at math but I will need more then duct tape to have this run smoothly.

6 comments:

Split Rock Ranch said...

Boo to rowdy goats, cracked bottles and banged up knees! I hope things go more smoothly for you Grace. You need to have a very stern talk with those girls. Time out might even be necessary!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Doesn't anyone sleep at 1 am. What are these girls even doing up at that hour, let alone having a pushing match. And that is funny about your sisters. Isn't it funny what family can find to fight about. Maybe if we just head butted them in the flank, we could get over it much faster too ;)

judy said...

your 2 goats remind me of my sisters fighting also-only they would rip each others clothes off screaming "THATS MINE" "NO THAT'S M-I-N--E"----what would we do with out our memories?

larkspur funny farm said...

I know that too Judy - the clothing trades that went horribly wrong, the hair pulling over earrings worn without permission. I was the youngest so I sure remember those days - not fondly but all the same. When I had two boys I thought great at least none of that but boys do the same.. Even now when they are young men clothing can never be shared...

Vicki Boster said...

Judy -
I am new here - had some time for a little blog surfing tonight and ended up here~~

This caption - about the duct tape caught my eye and I HAD to stop and comment!!! I am a nurse - work at a hospital - and when something is broken - anything - no matter how much it cost or what it is supposed to do - we ( the nurses) fix it with duct tape. The guys in maintenance HATE us! They have a running joke and say that nurses fix everything with duct tape!

Anyway - I visited your etsy shop and you have some wonderful fibers. I am a knitter - so it is nice to meet another fiber person! I book marked your shop for later~~

Happy Easter~
Vicki

larkspur funny farm said...

Welcome Vicki to the Funny Farm - my late husband only knew how to do things with duct tape - it was even part of his final service. Love that you found me with my duct tape story - would love to see your knitting...