Thursday, April 21, 2011

When No One Is Looking!!

As the wind howled all night again, even had snow scattering and blowing - I walked out to give the 2 am bottle and with all the noise the little bottle kids did not hear me. As I rounded the corner and slowly walked inside and what did I see but under the warmth of the heating lamb there was Olivia out front blocking any draft and all four of the kids snuggled behind her sound asleep... Not only is Opal being warmed by her mother but my three little bottle kids. I tell you it just surprised the heck out of me but made me so thrilled. Olivia had not caught sight of me yet and I just stood in amazement...

Just then Olivia saw me and quickly stood up on her three legs. She stood in front of the sleeping kids and gave me a look as if to say - "How did they get behind me"?? Suddenly the kids awoke and ran to me. Olivia came over to me and watch closely as I fed everyone in turn. She had to inspect each of the bottles and checked my hand to make sure that I was doing them right....

After the feedings the four of them started to play around the pen and Olivia quickly pushed them back to the corner as if to say "Back to bed - it is too early to be playing around"... The four of them quickly ran to the corner and stood. Olivia gave me a look like "Alright, you done your part now go". After saying good night to all the other mothers and babies and huge hugs to Chief I left the barn a bit lighter know that when no one is looking I do have someone looking out for my little ones...

Thanks Olivia.

2 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I think Olivia needs a special treat. She came through after all she has been through. Better make it a double treat :)

larkspur funny farm said...

Part of me thinks she has just thrown in the towel and decided four was more then she was going to fight with so it was easier to just go with the flow... Now she knows how I feel but your right this morning she did get some extra's...