Monday, September 6, 2010

Chick Update!!



I am just in love with these tiny little sweet creatures... They are growing every minute of the day. The girls eat and drink so much you wonder where they put it all. Just like human babies they require continual care, watching and interaction. They go thru a quart of water ever three hours and about a cup of feed in that same time. I change their bed twice a day and keep a heat lamp on them 24 hours a day. I do not handle them at this time because I want them just to feel safe. Once they get older I will interact more with them then just their care because you want to be able to handle them without scaring them to death. When you get older hens it takes much work to gain their trust so now this is the time to start the relationship.

I still have not found the odd one out yet but I am just over the moon that everyone is well, happy and living with each in peace. I love watching them come together to nap. They make a soft sound that seems to sound like a lullaby - very soon I will start playing a CD softly for them so they learn that sounds are not something to be startled by - I do this with all animals that come into the house. Since my home is quite unlike the barns I do not wish the animals to become nervous once they return to their permanent homes outside.

I hope I am not boring you with my chicks? I never tire of watching them.

4 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

How can you get bored of chicks? From day to day they are totally different. One day fluff ball, next day feathered and gawky, then the next fully grown regal bird. Daytime TV talk shows - Boring. Animals never!

larkspur funny farm said...

I with you Jane - when I get up in the middle of the night to give them food and water I have to remind myself to go back to bed. I just stand there watching them. Much better then the boob tube.

monica said...

I would love to look at getting some chicks once we get moved! Gary said we could get chickens! You are not boring me at all!

larkspur funny farm said...

Oh Monica that would be wonderful if you could have chickens... They are so magical to watch and just think you would have eggs that you would not have to worry about - I get only one egg a day so I truely bless my hen every morning for the gift. Can not wait to have 30 hens laying - enough to sell again...