Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chicks are Here - Chicks are Here!






I am doing the Snoopy Happy Dance!!!

At 10:15 am this morning my sweet tiny day old chicks arrived at the country post office. Of coarse the moment I go outside to work on projects the phone rings. Could not run fast enough to get there before it went to voice mail. Had to wait till the person got done talking to hear the message and it was to tell me that my precious cargo has landed. Getting into the truck and down the dirt road I go with my heart beating a bit faster. Now most folks can not understand why in the world this gal would be so excited - to most I may come across as someone who is removed from most things, covered in armor and does not show much emotions but I am anything but that - especially when it comes to little things... By the time I got to our small post office my heart was pounding. As I opened the first set of doors you could hear the voices through the glass doors in the lobby. Everyone in the post office was staring at the box with my tiny chicks. As I waited in line to take possession of my new wards my insides where doing that Happy Dance.

Once in the truck and down the road their song was getting louder and louder. The bumpy dirt road could shake your filling out so I could imagine that the poor little girls where really feeling like they where on a amusement ride that never ends. It is about 13 miles to my farm from the post office so it was not a quick ride. Just as I reached the turn in to my driveway without saying a word they all become silent - not a peep! As we reached the front gates and I got out of the truck all the goats came running to the fence line. "What you got MOM"? As I gently lifted them out of the back seat and their voices started up again while all ears on the farm stood up as I carried them in.

Slowly I put each chicks beak into the water and started them drinking - it was a long trip to get here and they sure needed to restart their bodies. After everyone had their drink it was now time for food. I placed chick feed on the newspaper and all started pecking away. Then they ran back to the water, then the feed, then water and you get it pattern. All look very healthy and happy.

I have order 30 Ameraucana hens - for those who do not know this breed they are the ones who lay the green and blue eggs. They are a sweet bird with more brains then any other breed I have had - I am a lover of this breed. I purchased them from McMurry and they had a special where they added a Exotic Breed Chick in for free! You know what that means - they had left over Roosters and needed to get them to go away... Oh Well I will love it no matter what...

So they have been repeating their food and water pattern none stop since they got here and I am still watching them closely. I get it - I am weird! But I must say "I LOVE MY CHICKS"

Do you have a favorite Chicken Breed or story - Please share I know there are others out there who love their chickens as much as I do.

6 comments:

monica said...

Grace, I am doing a Happy Dance with you! I am so excited for you! I don't have any chicks of my own, but I totally get the excitement! They are so very cute! I can't wait till we get some because Gary said we could get chickens!! Yippee!!
Hugs,Monica

larkspur funny farm said...

Oh Monica you will love having chicks and they are a great lesson for the kids...I will be doing the happy dance for you when you get yours...

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I am having a love/hate thing with my keets right now. Mostly because I am trying to have Mama raise them and well, you know how that can go. They are super cute though. Good luck with your babies!

Brenda Courtney said...

Grace, they are adorable! We have one Americauna and two Americana/Maran crosses. They give us olive green eggs! We'd like to get some more Americaunas.
Your blog post makes me so anxious to get my chicks in October when the grandkids are here! They are gonna be so excited!

larkspur funny farm said...

Jane - I know what you mean I have never had a Broody mom - would have loved to have one assist with this group. Good luck with your sweet ones..

Brenda - I think chickens are the best for small kids - teachs them so much. My DIL is so excited to have Reece see the chicks. Oct will be here soon - enjoy!

Kris said...

Grace, I am so happy you got your new little chicks. I bet they are adorable. Have fun with them.