Sunday, March 13, 2011

Big Work - Big Adventure

Finally the wind has stopped and outside I went. Not for a picnic, a walk in the forest or just to sit and soak up the sun but rather to tackle the two ton of hay that had been delivered Wednesday.

I cleaned up the food room in the goat girls barn and tricked them to go outside and play. I opened the big doors and with the hand trolley I started pulling each 89 lb bale one by one into the feed room and stacking them. After three hours of moving and stacking I had moved one ton and closed up the doors and let the girls come back in. They love it when I move hay because they get all the loose stuff that I rake up so that means extra breakfast for those hungry, hungry Mothers...

I decided while the wind was still calm and the sun was out I would bring the little girl outside to visit everyone. She kept her head tucked into my jacket and snuggled the whole way out. As I came through the gate everyone crowded around to see what it was that I was having in my hands. I am sure they where all looking for apples not a tiny little goat. She was excited to greet everyone - as they sniffed her over and did not give her a second look her face turned sad. She came to me crying and hoping to go inside. I told her that making friends takes a bit of work and time so let's just enjoy the sun. I sat down and Chief (the Pry) came over licked her bottom and then her head (that is what he is to do to show he will protect her) and sat down next to her. The moment he did that all the other little goat kids came running over to see what Chief had...

Soon the little girl was being greeted by everyone of the kids and a couple even head butted her - that was scary for her but it is a sign that they included her and want her to be one of them.. She was working hard at walking and even managed a couple of skipping and a little running on three legs. Chief followed her closely to make sure that none of the Mothers went after her and each time she fell Chief was there to make sure she was O.K.

After about an hour the little one was wanting to go back inside the house. I picked her up and she placed her head back into my jacket and started to snuggle. As I walked back to the house she fell sound asleep. I placed her back in front of her space heater and she did not even complain - not a peep.. She was one tired little girl but I was so excited that her walking and skipping came out and that she connected with her peers. All my love in the world can not make up for finding her inner goat - she even worked at nippling on the hay after watching some of the other kids go after the pieces on the ground. Having her with them I could see how she is so tiny compared to them. She is about half their size - that is what happens when you are not being fed by your goat Mommy..I did try to see if Ebony (Her Real Mom) would take her but she would have nothing to do with her. She sniffed her and then pushed her to the ground. My heart broke a bit but I could not fault her - in her mind and heart he baby was died and I could not force something that was not there. Still I grieved for my little girl who would not have the love of a Goat Mom...

All in all we are two tuckered little girls but only one of us is sleeping right now... It sure isn't me but I am THRILLED for the wonderful time that my little one had and that I have half of the hay in the barn - now I only have a ton more to move around to the different pastures but that will be for another day..

No comments: