Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A New Recipe for the Funny Farm

As I carefully made it down the stairs this morning to start the bottles and coffee pot (eye still an issue) I turned on the oven because I was going to make a Spanish Baked Omelet for breakfast... As I warmed the formula, put on my outside duds and plugged in the coffee pot there was a strange smell. I figured - Grace I guess you need to put these clothes in the wash today.

As I ran through my brain what I might be doing today I kept smelling something nasty. Last night there was fire smoke in the air for many hours - a small pasture fire about 5 miles from me - that is a whole other story. As the bottles where ready I went out the door and to the babies in the barn. As always they are thrilled to see me as if I had been gone for a week. I SO LOVE THAT! It is wonderful to be needed and missed.

As I headed back to the house and still in my brain I opened the kitchen deck door and greeted by smoke and a really nasty nasty smell. I ran to the oven and pulled the door open - YUCK!!! What is burning in the there??? You will not believe what I found after I got the smoke to clear... MILLER MOTHS!!!

Oh My Gosh - I could not believe my eyes or nose.... I tried to take a picture but you could not make them out because they where piles of ash.. Ok there will be no Spanish Omelet for me... I let the oven cool, got out the shop vac and sucked them up and went about wiping the oven out. By that time I decided an omelet on top of the stove was on the menu or maybe even cold cereal. I must admit this is the first time this has ever happened - we get tons of Miller Moths here during this time of year and the Swallows just love but how did they get into the oven ?? NO, I did not leave the door open.. Just another mystery for the Funny Farm but I guess from now on I will check the oven before turning it on... They really smell nasty when baked...

4 comments:

Brooke Dilling said...

but you missed out on all that fiber....

Georgianne Holland said...

Your life is not for the faint of heart...or stomache! Yummm

larkspur funny farm said...

Despite my healthy eating I just can not eat bugs...

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Eeewwwww. You may want to solve that mystery. Could you have a small leak in your oven?