Monday, May 4, 2009

I need toothpicks to hold my eye open

No one slept much last night because of the boys crying in the barn. I know some say that you should just move them to the other side of the farm so they can not see their Mothers. Been there, tried that and all it did was make the problem worse. Many years ago we would place the kids being weaned on the other side of the farm and the boys would spend all their energy tearing fences, getting caught under gates and hurting their bodies in the process. When we teach our two legged kids that they can live without us we do it in steps. We don't just drop our kids at school or daycare and never come back - we show them that over time they can make new connections, interests and take care of themselves. I think my way has provided Billies that are not distructive, hurtfull and genetlemen when it comes to breeding time. So a strong cup of coffee, toothpicks and maybe a nap.

This morning the boys came up to me wanting hugs, snugs and back with their Mother's. Tough love and tons of snugs will see them thru. The moment I got back to the house the crying started up again - remember it is a process...

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Such a hard thing to go through...though it sounds as if you have a process that is successful. It's always the most painful for the moms.. whether the babies are two or four legged. Hang it there and hope you get some sleep soon!

larkspur funny farm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
larkspur funny farm said...

Lisa - I know you know what it is like to be without sleep but our kids are worth it both two and four legged. Thanks for checking in.

monica said...

Grace,I hope you have gotten some rest!!