Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sick Ward for my Little Old Hen




For the past week one of my old white gals has been struggling. She kept eating and drinking but day by day she was slowing down. With the snow falling Wednesday she wanted to go out with the other girls but she was wabbling and falling so I brought her into the shop to warm up. She began throwing up - I had never seen that before in all the years I have had chickens. So I ran for a basket, blankets and moved her to the upstairs bathroom with a space heater. She snuggled down and went to sleep.

Thru the night I checked on her every hour and no change. It was good and bad news. I tried to give her drink and food but she would have none of it. Still throwing up about every five hours... All night I watched for some change.

It is almost noon the next day - no change but she is comfortable in her basket in the bathroom. Since she does not seem to be in pain or distress I will let Mother Nature take it coarse. She will have love, warmth and peacefull surrounds during this time - I am hoping that she will pass gently on her own but I have had to assist others when their pain was too much. Not always the happy side of farm life but I have had many great years with this sweet gal and I will do all I can to make her final days as best as possible.

Don't be sad she has had a wonderful long life and has been loved every minute she has been here. What a GREAT Life!

No comments: