Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bread Help Please

For those who make your own bread I need your help. I have been making bread for years now but can not seem to stop it from molding too quickly. I do not like putting it in the frig because it seems to dry it out and turn it crumbly while in a plastic bag. I have tried different plastic boxes but still it molds.

I could really use some advice how you all store your home made bread because I am sharing more of it with the hens then I really care too... A half a loaf is more then their share. Thanks in advance.

4 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Sourdough and long fermenting (like 24 hour rises) doughs will take longer to mold. And I keep mine in a cloth bag. Plastic will hold the moisture in and it will grow mold faster. Hope this helps.

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candy C. said...

I usually freeze half because we don't eat it before it goes bad. We can never tell any difference that the bread has been frozen, especially if you put it in the freezer as soon as it is cool.
I'm sure the chickens are happy though! LOL!!

Merry said...

I use a bread keeper, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Adjustable-Bread-Keeper/dp/B001BB2LMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335381421&sr=8-1

I also use honey in my dough.