Friday, April 27, 2012

Comfort from the Storm


After the night we had at the farm everyone needed comfort big time. The storm started about 8 pm and kept coming... The rain was coming so hard and sideways that at times I felt like we must be on the high seas. Then the lighting strikes - so many I could not even keep count. We even experienced a few moments of hail and then snow - yep, snow!! Then we had two power outages not lasting long but plunging us into pitch black darkness. Out here it is dark.. I then heard on the solar powered crank radio that tornadoes had also hit south east of us. So not much rest again at the farm.

As the sun rose up I got bundled up and went outside. Long John's and a coat were a must along with a hat. The animals where as weary and shaken as I was - poor Dottie (Llama Baby) ran to me and wrapped her neck around me humming with a high pitch - that is their frightened sound. I rubbed her all over, hugged her and kissed her. She followed glued to my butt as I went around to each barn and pasture to check on folks. Everyone wanted comfort and I gladly gave it. The hens where so frightened that they now followed me as I did the farm check. Imagine four llama's, three huge billies and 22 hens all walking on my heels and talking the whole time as if to say "You have no idea how scary it was".

As I got to the horse trailer that Kasha calls hers I found Sherlock and Watson sleeping with Kasha - They muscled their way into the trailer last night and had their protector stand watch over them. Kasha was their caretaker when they left the house and would wonder the back yard as two little bottle kids. Kasha does not have the patience she once had but she still knows "Her Kids" and like all mom's will comfort them no matter how old they get. The big boys did not leave her much today and several times I caught Kasha licking their heads and they rubbing their horns on her back - true love and comfort.

Several of the animals got "Rescue Remedy" to calm their nerves and I took several doses during the day as well.. We made it through another restless night thanks to Mother Nature and for those to the south of me who did not fair as well I send prayers and hope for a calmer night.

10 comments:

Ngo Family Farm said...

What is your "rescue remedy"? So sweet the way your animals are with each other and you. Hoping you have a calm night.
-Jaime

larkspur funny farm said...

Rescue Remedy is a holistic flower remedy which is a Bach Flower Product. You can get them at most natural food shop.. I have been using it for not only my two legged children and four legged for some 30 years. I also now have taught it to my DIL and grandson. It has been a life saver also for my bottle kids..

Hope that helps. Enjoy the moisture and good luck on catching more fish..

Amy Dingmann said...

AW, I bet you looked like the Pied Piper of Safety out there with all those animals following you around. I'm glad to hear everyone was safe and I hope things calm down around your place so everyone can get rest!

caprejan said...

I cannot believe the tough time you've had weather wise, plus, this year, is the weather always like that in Colorado? Well you and your little friends are in my thoughts and it can only get better. Have a good weekendx

Candy C. said...

I'm glad the Funny Farm and all the critters came through the storm okay! I would have loved to see everyone following you around for morning inspection! :)

Aprons and More said...

Just call you Dr. Doolittle... ;)I would send you some of this hot weather we are having today if I could...90!

Katy :)

larkspur funny farm said...

Katy - 90 degrees WOW! I am not much of a hot weather person - I do much better in snow - not lightening or tornadoes either. Hope you stay cool Katy.

larkspur funny farm said...

Candy I never remember the camera because I am so focused on the task at hand. That is why I sucked at being a Creative Memories Consultant - always forgetting to take pictures. Also, since it is just me hard to let you see what I am doing..

larkspur funny farm said...

Caprejan - No Colorado has not been this strange weather wise - I have lived here all my life and we have more shifts then ever before. We have a saying "Wait 10 minutes and the weather changes in Colorado" It was the reason why most move here is because we have 4 great seasons - the sun shines when we have a snow storm and we have more then 358 sun shining days but all that is changing - just like it is everywhere in the world I guess. As a child I could count on one hand ever having a storm like I had the other night..

larkspur funny farm said...

MamaTea - I hope for that too - way too tired to continue and the animals could use some rest as well. Sending good thoughts your way.