Monday, April 9, 2012

Trying to Spread My Creative Wings







With my birthday coming tomorrow I have been considering what might be in store for me.

I have been considering new adventures, determining what is worth my time and what is not.

While in one of these "In the Head Moods" I thought I would step out of my comfort zone and create something new. I have been designing new yarns, batts and dye pots in my brain while doing the work that this farm requires. With not much extra minutes left in a day I felt my creative side screaming to be heard. So on one of the many nights when sleep just could not be found I got up and answered the call of my lost wild side. As I sat down in the living room with only a couple of candles flickering next to me it was as if I was taken over as my fingers and feet began to move. I let the process happen with my normal critical voice silenced and tucked away. For those who know me I LOVE Coral and have many pieces that I wear and cherish. I felt the need to create that in a yarn form and this is what was appearing in the wee hours of the darkness....


It is a complex art yarn with more steps then most would undertake. It has my sweet Cashmere LFF Lilly, Mohair from LFF Sugar, Icelandic Wool from LFF Cinderella, Merino Lambs Wool from a local breeder, Silk and Hand Painted Cotton Fabric from my very large stash... I can never explain the bliss and joy I feel when I am creating but this time I also felt like there was a part of me struggling for a new path. Time flew by although I did not keep track of how long it took to create this new yarn - this was not to be tracked like my normal business spinning but rather to release the chains that I have crafted and just let it happen..


I would love to know what you think of this yarn which I call "Coral Reef Compassion" - it is not like me to go so far out of my comfort zone but I think it is about time. I have placed the two skeins up on my Etsy shop and hope it will call to some other creative spirit.


I also would be interested to know if any of you have placed your feet on a new path, stepped outside your comfort zone and if so how is it going??

2 comments:

Pearhug Studio said...

I love how you're stepping out of your comfort zone. I'm just learning to spin, so I don't really have a comfort zone to step out of, so to speak. However, I wrote a post on my old blog about truly going out on a limb and trying out fire hooping! I think you'll find a lot of the same feelings resonate with fiber arts. http://mamaseemamado.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/may-you-be-kissed-with-fire-too/

caprejan said...

What a lovely thing to do, Im sorry Im late with birthday wishes, (still battling with a throat infection now) but hope you had a wonderful wonderful day.
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAYX